At the beginning of March I had the opportunity to team up with my fabulous friend and talented chef Miss Megan Doherty for another lovely food photoshoot. This time it was going to be about all things citrus. Meyer lemons and blood oranges are super tasty this time of year and Megan came up with three amazing recipes, two of which were featured on Style Me Pretty Living last week. First up was a Meyer Lemon Flatbread with arugula, mozzarella and prosciutto….you guys…this is so easy to make and beyond delicious…it’s a must have for your summer menu planning.
Next was a Lemon and Rosemary Cava Cocktail. Megan knows that I LOVE cava so this was a particular favorite of mine. Not too sweet and super refreshing!
Lastly, Megan made some Olive Oil Cupcakes with Meyer Lemon and Blood Orange Syrup…..yes they were divine….hands down the best thing I’ve eaten in a while!
I hope you enjoy these recipes as much as I do. Perfect for Spring and Summer and best eaten while one is wearing flip flops and soaking in some sunshine!
The recipe for Olive Oil Cupcakes is as follows:
Cake: butter and flour, for pan 3 eggs3 cups granulated sugar
2 cups extra virgin olive oil 2 cups whole milk
zest of 3 meyer lemons and 1 blood orange 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder 1/2 tsp. baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt
powdered sugar, for dusting 1 for garnish orange, sliced
Syrup: Juice of 3 Meyer lemons and one blood orange1/2 cup sugar
Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
1. Butter and flour two cupcake pans. (Aerosol cooking spray will also do the trick).
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until blended. Add the olive oil, milk, and orange zest; mix well.
3. In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add to egg mixture; stirring just until blended. Do not over mix.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared cupcake pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes; until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
5. While the cup cakes are baking, prepare the syrup by simmering the citrus juice and sugar on low heat until it thickens slightly.
6. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Loosen the sides with a knife and invert the cakes onto a serving plate.
7. Brush the syrup over the cupcakes and dust with powdered sugar. Garnish the cupcakes with fresh Meyer lemon and blood orange slices.